- How do we apply?
Please click TS 503 TD: Grant Application Form which will open in Microsoft Word and will allow you to type in the fields and print the completed application. Then mail the application to: Operation Teen Safe Driving, ATTN: Marianne Hankins, Division of Traffic Safety, P.O. Box 19245, Springfield, Illinois 62794-9245
All applications must typed. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Who do we contact if we have program questions?
- What other schools are we competing against?
You compete only against the schools within your region. Under the "Region” section of the website you can see how the state is divided.
- How long will it take to get our grant money?
The Regional Coordinators will collect your completed TS 08 TD and TS 502 TD at the Mandatory Grantee Meetings and will disburse the IDOT funded checks for $1000 within 4 weeks of that meeting.
The Allstate check for $1000 should be received within 90 days.
- Are two signatures required on all forms?
Yes. Both a Project Director as well as an Authorizing Representative are required to sign all Operation Teen Safe Driving Program documents. Their original signatures are required on all submitted forms. In the event the Project Director changes in the course of the OTSD program year, a TS 20 TD must be filled out and submitted to your Regional Coordinator.
- Where do we mail our completed forms after our school is selected for the program?
To your regional coordinator (See Regions) for the Operation Teen Safe Driving Program.
- What types of items can we purchase with the OTSD grant money?
Contests (poster, slogan – must be traffic safety-related)
Meals/Snacks for your OTSD team (MAY NOT EXCEED $150 total food expenses)
Production cost of public service announcements
Safety belt checks (pre-and post-campaigns)
Gift cards/Prize give away up to $25 (each). This must not exceed 10% of the grant money (no more than $200 TOTAL)
***ANY PURCHASE $250 or more, you must get approval from your Regional Coordinator***
If in doubt, contact your regional coordinator!
- What type of items cannot be purchased with OTSD grant money?
Video cameras, projectors or other electronics or equipment.
Meals for large groups
Program funds CANNOT be spent on lobbying elected officials
Program funds CANNOT be spent on scholarships
Program funds CANNOT be spent on POST-PROM events
Program funds CANNOT be spent on attending seminars, conference booths or training events
If in doubt, contact your regional coordinator! NO EXCEPTIONS
- What is the Ford Ride and Drive?
It is part of the Driving Skills for Life (DSFL) program. The Ride and Drives provide teen drivers behind-the wheel experience to improve their skills in four key areas that are critical factors in more than 60% of vehicle crashes including: hazard recognition, vehicle handling, speed management and space management. Be sure to get more information on their website: www.drivingskillsforlife.com. Using the Ford Motor Company Fund's Driving Skills for Life Program is a requirement of the Operation Teen Safe Driving Program. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- What is The Allstate Foundation's “Keep the Drive”?
It is a teen driving interactive site provided by The Allstate Foundation. Information is available at: http://www.keepthedrive.com. Using The Allstate Foundation's “Keep the Drive” Program is a requirement of the Operation Teen Safe Driving Program. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- What happens if we do not spend all of our grant money?
All grant money must be used the duration of the program and spent by program's end. If you fail to spend all of the money it must be returned to IDOT/DTS.
- Who selects the winner?
A panel of impartial judges chosen from our partners: Governor's Office, IDOT/DTS, The Ford Motor Company Fund, The Allstate Foundation, State Board of Education, Illinois State Police, Secretary of State, RADD, Regional Coordinators.
- Can we sponsor logos on materials?
When using logos, all three major sponsor's logos must be used: The Allstate Foundation, the Ford Motor Company Fund and the Illinois Department of Transportation's Division of Traffic Safety. All logos can be copied from this website. If you need the logo's in a different format please contact your regional coordinator.
- What format should we use for the final report?
We prefer all final reports be compiled in a Power Point Presentation, however a DVD will be accepted as well. Running time for all final reports should be kept to 10 minutes or less.
- Where can we obtain teen crash information?
Start with your local police or sheriff's departments. If you need more
information, contact the Division of Traffic Safety's Crash Information
Section at 217/782-2575.
- How do we conduct the required observational safety belt survey pre- and post-survey?
The Safety Belt Use Survey (TS 507 TD) on this website under the Forms/Application section has the guidelines. If you have any questions, contact your Regional Coordinator for guidance.
- What prizes can we win?
The winning schools in each region receive
1st place - $2,500
2nd place - $2,000
3rd place - $1,500
4th place - $1,000
5th place - $500
These funds must be used for a post-prom event! NO EXCEPTIONS!
What type of items can be purchased with
• Food & beverages
• Entertainment such as: bands, DJ, magician, photo booth
rental, karaoke rental or performers during your post prom
• Gift cards that do not exceed a value of $25 each, and
total spent on gift cards must not exceed 10% of your prize
(i.e. if your prize is $1000 you may spend $100 on gift
• “Giveaways” with the school’s teen safe driving message
imprinted not to exceed $5.00 on each item (i.e. photo
frames, candle holders, lanyards, etc…)
What types of items CANNOT be purchased with
• NO CASH giveaways
• No transportation of any kind
• You cannot purchase any equipment, office supplies, music
• Funds CANNOT be used to purchase clothing items
• Giveaways that exceed a $5.00 value each (other than the
allotment allowed for gift cards)
• Funds CANNOT be used to pay for event location
• Funds CANNOT be used to purchase admission tickets of any
kind (i.e. zoo, water parks, amusement parks, dinner cruise,
- What if we do not submit a final report?
You cannot compete for prizes and you will not be invited to the Ford Motor Company Fund's Ride & Drive if we do not receive your final report by the deadline. You may also be ineligible for other DTS programs (PROM) and future OTSD programs. In addition, you are required to refund the grant money.
- What if we do not incorporate the “Ford Motor Company Fund's “Driving Skills for Life” curriculum in our program?
You cannot compete for prizes and you will not be invited to the Ford Motor Company Fund's Ride & Drive . The “Driving Skills for Life” curriculum is a requirement of the program. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- What if we do not incorporate the Allstate Foundation's “Keep the Drive” curriculum in our program?
You cannot compete for prizes and you will not be invited to the Ford Motor Company Fund's Ride & Drive. The Allstate Foundation's “Keep the Drive” curriculum is a requirement of the program. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- What if we fail to report how we spent the money from the grant?
You can expect IDOT/DTS to request a report and if you do not submit one, you will be required to return the grant funds.
- Who were last year's OTSD winners?
See “2009 Program Winners” section on this website.
- Where do we find the forms needed for OTSD?
They are available in two locations at:
http://www.dot.il.gov/trafficsafety/tsforms.html or http://www.teensafedrivingillinois.org
- Are there any other limits on what we can spend money on in the program?
Schools should limit spending on meals, snacks, etc for students planning meetings to a cumulative maximum of $150 over the life of the program.
- Are there any other tools available to help my school perform a successful OTSD program?
Yes, please refer to the TS 513 TD, the Final Report Checklist, you should begin to compile the required information from day one of your program. Also available on our web-site, winning “Final Reports” from the 2009 OTSD program. Be sure to maintain contact with your Regional Coordinators - they are here to assist you!!